via Identity Kenya

A new group of otherwise heterosexual men who engage in sexual activity with other men has been formed to create awareness on HIV and also fight blackmail that most of their members have fallen prey to.

The group, Married Men Initiative (MMI), so far, boasts of fifty to sixty married men who meet regularly in social places to talk and interact.

‘Over 90% of the members are married to women; some have children from their marriages and the other 10% consists of men with girlfriends or are live-in marriages,’ said Samuel Kabuga*, one of the members to Identity Kenya.

Most of the members are deeply closeted out of fear of being outed and to avoid blackmailing by those who take advantage of their marital status. Apart from the risk of contracting HIV through unprotected anal sex, most married men face also face extortion from some of their boyfriends.

‘One of the main reasons we formed the group was to offer support and aid to those members who had fallen prey to blackmailers. These are people, who after sex, demand for money and knowing that we are married or in the closet, take advantage of that,’ said Otieno*, a member said.

Read the rest.

*Join IRMA’s robust, highly-active. moderated, global listserv addressing rectal microbicide research and advocacy as well as other interesting new HIV prevention technologies by contacting us at Joining our listserv automatically makes you a member of IRMA – a network of more than 1,100 advocates, scientists, policy makers and funders from all over the world.

*Please look for us on Facebook:, and you can follow us on Twitter: @rectalmicro.

*Also, please note that shared news items from other sources posted on this blog do not necessarily mean IRMA has taken any position on the article’s content.